Monday, March 2, 2009

My Hero

It was amazing to see how many lives were touched by my Dad. Friday evening, during the meeting of friends, we estimate that there were at least 500 people that came to pay their respects. At the funeral service, the church was packed with estimates of over 300 for the funeral. Some said that there were people standing in the vestibule. I have a co-worker named Rick Collins that my Dad only met once who drove over four hours from Knoxville, TN to pay his respects on Saturday. Rick said to me that Dad was one of those men that you only had to meet once to remember for a lifetime. What a testimony that my Dad had. My brother, Jeff, said that he was just Dad to us; however, seeing all of you made us realize that he was much more than that. He was an uncle, a friend, a cousin, a co-worker, a paw paw, a great paw paw, a husband, a father, a father in law, an inspiration, a miracle, a hero.

On behalf of my family, I would like to thank you for all of your prayers, cards, meals, visits, phone calls, and support. The outpouring of support has been tremendous. We also would like to thank ACT’s Ministries and Plaza Baptist Church for the meal served after the funeral service. We want to thank Pastor Bounds and Pastor Gales for the tremendous message that was delivered, honoring my Dad. His memorial service not only would have made my Dad proud, it honored our Lord Jesus, and that was what my Dad wanted. We would like to thank David Jarvis and Brian Bounds for singing so beautifully and for Kristina Helms for running the sound system at the church. We would like to thank Andrew Girardin for playing the bag pipes, bringing a classic touch to the service. There are so many people to thank, I’m afraid that I will offend someone by not mentioning their name, so I will stop there. Please know that we love you and that we are very grateful for your friendship.

I want to leave you the lyrics of “Fingerprints of God” written by Stephen Curtis Chapman. I read these lyrics at Dad’s funeral. It describes my Dad to a T. They are:

“Never has there been and never again will there be another you. Fashioned by Gods hand and perfectly planned to be just who you are. And what He’s been creating since the first beat of your heart, is a living, breathing, priceless work of art.”

“I can see the fingerprints of God, when I look at you, I can see the fingerprints of God, and I know it’s true, you’re a masterpiece that ALL creations, quietly applauds, and you're covered with the fingerprints of God.”

It was a true privilege to have been able to call Linzey Broom my Dad. He was, and will always be my hero.

Love you Dad! I’m glad you are at home getting some rest.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. very true son he was all of our hero. i loved him so much and miss him. my heart breaks every time i think of him hurting like he did i tried taking so of the pain but he just would not let me.thank god he is pain free now and in gods hand.i know he is taken very good care of.until i see him again

    ReplyDelete